HonHon's Hospital Diary

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Happy New Year!!!

DonHon decided to spend a quiet New Year's Eve.

They were busy getting everything ready
for the countdown and of course,
it begins with stalking up alcohol!!!



the list of the alcohol in the above pic goes something like this:

a bottle of chardonnay
a bottle of riesling
a bottle of pinot grigio
a bottle of sauvignon blanc
a bottle of merlot
a bottle of pinot noir
two bottles of cabernet sauvignon
a bottle of red wine from bordeaux
budweiser 6 pack
heineken 6 pack
stella artois 6 pack
a bottle of tequila
a bottle of champagne  

Once they filled their wine fridge and wine shelf  with these wines,
Hon turned to cooking :)

Hon had a very busy day both on the 30th and 31st,
getting everything in order for DonHon's hibernation :)
  




a picture taken probably by a paparazzi showing Don slacking off
while Hon working his ass off :)



Don issued a statement regarding the above picture:
"I had to work on the 31st to support my Hon,
and if anything, the picture rather proves how tired I was.
Because normally I would never sleep like that!!
I look so horrible!!!"


 another pic obtained from a paparazzi,
showing Don taking a bubble bath with a glass of white wine.

when asked for a comment, Don screamed "no comment!"


after more than 12 hours of cooking,
Hon prepared some wonderful dishes for their New Year's Eve celebration


 Brunch on New Year's Eve
- Chirashi sushi (assorted sashimi fish over rice)
- Miso soup with daikon radish
- Takuan (daikon radish pickle)
- sauvignon blanc



Dinner on New Year's Eve
- Toshikoshi Soba
(The pic doesn't look good... Hon was too drunk by this time...)

Toshikoshi (a.k.a. year-crossing) Soba
has been eaten on New Year's Eve since Edo-era in Japan.

As soba is thin & long, and easily cut,
Japanese people eat soba the end of the year wishing for
- thin (frugal) & long life
- cutting off all the pain in the year not bringing it to the next year
- staying with someone special for a long time  




Brunch on New Year's day
- Osechi
- A bottle of Sake (Kariho Rokushu)

Osechi are traditional Japanese New Year foods.
They are all prepared before New Year day
so that Wives and Moms can take a rest until Jan 4th.



From top left in clockwise order:
- Kamaboko
- Kuri kinton
- Namasu
- Kuromame


 Top: Nimono
Bottom: Beef rolled vegetables


Grilled Sea urchin on potato
(This is not Osechi)

       
  
- Ozouni


Happy New Year!!!
謹賀新年!!!
明けましておめでとうございます!!!
새해 복 많이 받으세요!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8 comments:

  1. good job hon!
    by the way don, FYI, it is NOT Japanese tradition to use square aluminum foil in Osechi, no matter what hon says.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don, Why didnt you cook a rice cake soup, Korean traditional new year food? This new year day, I cooked it for myself, and ate alone... ㅠㅠ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roy!!! why did you lie... you ate it in my house!!!!!!!!!!!!pig!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. NYEEL: According to Hon, square aluminum foil is a symbol of everlasting love in Japan... NO? kkk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Roy!

    Why did you lie, you PIG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! kkk
    So you had the rice cake soup at Escape's and again at your apartment? What's going on? Trying to be a "bear"? kkk

    And by the way, kitchen is Hon's territory - I can only enter with permission and I was not granted access during the new year's holiday. kkk


    Escape:

    How is the preparation for my welcome party going? I don't expect too much, so no pressure. I just need:

    1. red carpet
    2. two bodyguards (male please!)
    3. 100 pink roses
    4. velvet rope around my table
    5. and please no paparazzis!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Roy & Escape,

    Could you please send Don a recipe for rice cake soup? I'm not sure he knows it well...
    He sometimes cook Kimchi chigae for me, which tastes so good!

    NYEEL,

    Shut up, Mr. Long body!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm, too much drink seems to make MJ(ESCAPE)'s condition worse = =;

    The wrong thing among MJ's words is that I lied. I slept at my home on the new year day and I cooked it by myself at home. The picture of rice cake soup in my minihomepy can assure that I was right. = =;

    But partially, MJ migth be right.
    When i visit MJ's home on the day after the new year day, I ate it. There was some remainder after their eating.
    And I get fat, so i am almost a pig.... = =;
    .

    Hi, Hon... I will find the recipe and send to you before the next new year day. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. 잠깐이지만 반가웠어. ㅋ 기다리고 있으니까 얼른 오셩 ^^ 로이는 줄기차게 영어 쓰네 ㅋ

    ReplyDelete